05 Aug Making Your Baby Sleep During a Heatwave: Follow the Advice of a Maternity Nurse
Motherhood, or parenthood overall, has tons of challenges. One day, you are enjoying on a shopping trip, buying all of these cute baby bibs and baby clothes in Malaysia. Then, the next day, you see yourself worrying about your little one’s health issues. It’s all part of the journey.
What do you think is the most important thing to remember when caring for an infant child? Do you know that even the slightest change in weather can affect your baby’s health? For one thing, many parents are having a difficult time making their babies sleep when in the middle of a heatwave.
According to sleep consultants, you should take into account your baby’s clothing and bedroom temperature during heatwaves. Below are some tips you must remember:
- Regularly check the baby for signs of overheating, by touching the back of their necks. Focus on this if your child is too young to express if they are feeling too cold or hot.
- Install a thermometer in the bedroom of your child to monitor the temperature.
- If possible, open the bedroom windows, and then close the blinds partially for a few hours prior to bedtime. This is important for air flow.
- If the temperature reaches 27C, your baby must only wear a nappy.
- Use a fan to keep the air circulating well around the bedroom.
- Increase liquid intake, from breast milk or formula milk to water.
- Give the baby a bath cooler than the usual.
Our babies still can’t manage their own body temperatures. It’s still hard for them to communicate whether they are too cold or hot, so we need to monitor symptoms, and dress them appropriately. Choose the right clothing pieces in order to dehydration.